Sunday, May 6, 2012

Macy's Heart of Haiti




 This Mother's Day, I'm working with Clever Girls in support of Macy's Heart of Haiti to shine a light on the "trade, not aid" program, which provides sustainable income to Haitian artisans struggling to rebuild their lives and support their families after the 2010 earthquake.

My Mom with Violet and my niece, Madeline


I was provided with two handcrafted necklaces made by Haitian artisans and chose to give one to my Mama for Mother’s Day. My Mom has always been one of my best friends in the world. She is always there for me and now that I’m older I love always being there for her when she needs me, as well. We share a special bond that has been concreted by my becoming a mother myself.

It’s so tough living in a different state than my Mom. Thankfully we have cell phones, Skype and Facebook to keep us connected across the miles. I was planning to give my Mom her necklace when she came to Violet’s 1st birthday party yesterday, but she was unable to attend to attend due to health reasons, so I’m dropping it in the mail tomorrow. I hope she loves it as much as I love her.


What is Macy’s Heart of HaitiHeart of Haiti is a “Trade, Not Aid” initiative launched by artist and social entrepreneur, Willa Shalit, The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund and Macy’s. Already, Heart of Haiti has led to employment of 750 artists in Haiti, providing financial benefits for an estimated 8,500 people in the country.

Each item is a one-of-a-kind design and handmade by a Haitian master artisan from raw materials such as recycled oil drums, wrought iron, papier-mâché and stone. The collection features more than 40 home decor items including quilts, metalwork, ceramics, jewelry and paintings and is made almost entirely from recycled and sustainable items such as old cement bags, cardboard, oil drums and local gommier wood.  


Heart of Haiti products are available online at Macy’s.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment