Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Natural Life #1


Since moving into our new home I have completely changed my thinking on the things I put into and onto my body and my family's bodies. I have switched us over to a 90% whole food diet and have slowly but surely been replacing our hygiene products with all natural products. I'm not willing to throw away perfectly good food or other items, so we're using up the old stuff and replacing it with the new, natural stuff. 

Shampoo and conditioner are two things we go through pretty quickly around here so it was one of the first hygiene product replacements I made. The first set I tried is the Lavender shampoo and condition from Whole Food's 365 brand. 


This stuff is all natural, smells great and is quite cheap so it was my first choice. I purchased the shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. I skipped the shower gel because I'm a bar soap kind of gal. After about a week of using the shampoo and conditioner I was miserable. My hair was disgusting, tangled and completely unmanageable. The shampoo doesn't contain any lathering agents, so I had a really hard time getting my thick hair clean with it. I started to notice my hair brush getting gunky because my hair was so oily that lint and dust from the my clothes, my bed and just the air were beginning to stick to my hair. Josh wasn't fond of the shampoo either so I decided we weren't even going to finish the bottle. Now, I've read some great reviews of this product online, so I wouldn't advise against it, but I just don't think it works for everyone or all hair types.

I did some research before making my next purchase. I wanted a natural shampoo that had some lather to it and rinsed clean. I decided to give Nature's Gate a try.


I bought the herbal scented shampoo and conditioner and have been pleased so far. I have been using it for three weeks now and I'm not experiencing any of the unpleasant symptoms the 365 shampoo/conditioner was giving me. This does cost more than the 365 shampoo/conditioner, but it's worth it! It's still less than the name brand conventional shampoos and conditioners that are loaded with icky gunk I really don't want to be slathering on my head every other day.

Pictured on top of my shampoo and conditioner is my bar of soap, but I'll save my soap reviews for my next MNL post.

No comments:

Post a Comment